Tuesday, July 12, 2005

 

Scouting Documentation for NPAPI

I'm writing something that I've dubbed a "scouting document" — documentation that covers a whole topic that will affect us in the future, but only a subset of which I'm interested in at the moment. In this case, I've decided to take a detour and start working on a thorough and comprehensive NPAPI guide (since even the official documentation has some holes and misinformation). When someone in the future goes out to re-write our plugin (as I'm sure will happen eventually), this document will hopefully be the only thing they need to understand the requirements on the plugin side of things. I've been working on it for about two days now, and hope to have my research and first draft completed within a week. For those interested in alternate formats, the texinfo source document and pdf rendering are also available.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

Note: I have been told by someone who recently downloaded the SWF specification that Macromedia has added a restrictive license to the end of the document. Because of this, newcomers will not be able to get a copy of the spec and still be able to contribute to GPLFlash's development. Since other developers (such as myself) already have access to the specification without the license, this should not pose a major problem in the short term. Please bear with us, and do not seek out or use this specification in conjunction with the GPLFlash project.